Fur coats and vest in "perfect weather Cali" may sound out of our elements but here
are a few tips to help you pull the look off.
Tips and Tricks for Working Faux Fur into an Outfit
- Try a faux fur vest. I got mine on sale for $20 at American Eagle last season, so this piece does not have to be a huge splurge. Fur vests look awesome with jeans and a long sleeved shirt, or a simple dress, leggings and boots.
- Try small accents. If you’re hesitant about this look, try a faux fur scarf or purse for a hint of the trend. I also love corduroy and wool jackets with fur trimming on the collars and sleeves.
- Keep it simple if you’re unsure. I love faux fur with florals and stripes, but my style is all about contrast. For a more conservative approach, try it out with solid colors.
- Rock a faux fur jacket or coat. We all loved Carrie Bradshaw’s coat on SATC, and coats like hers are amazingly warm and stylish. Just be careful about wearing one in precipitation — water can make faux fur clump together awkwardly.
- Experiment with animal print. I absolutely LOVE my leopard print faux fur jacket, and I’ve seen other great animal prints as well in stores this season. But to avoid looking like Cruella DeVille, seek out subtle, blended prints.
Outfit #1: Casual Outfit for Daytime
Faux fur vests are great investments – they can literally change the entire look and feel of an outfit! Pair one with a long sleeved shirt – plain if you’re trying the trend for the first time, or striped to step up the style. Pull on a pair of worn-in jeans and add riding boots to keep your feet dry and warm. Finish with simple jewelry, like this menswear-inspired watch.
Outfit #2: Classic Look for a Semi-Formal Occasion
There’s nothing like a faux fur stole to completely change an outfit from plain-jane to absolutely glamorous! The outfit is perfect for a semi-formal occasion, like a date party, fancy dinner, or banquet. Start off with your trusty little black dress, classic black pumps, crystal earrings, and a pretty pearl bracelet. Finish the look with ruby red lips and a warm fur wrap.
Outfit #3: Trendy Look for a Night on the Town
This is one of my favorite outfits for a night out on the town. Liquid leggings and a simple tank dress make a great base outfit. Throw on a fancy necklace and pull on a furry leopard print coat for a chic outfit perfect for a cold night. Keep your feet warm with a pair of lace up boots. I have been absolutely lusting over Jeffrey Campbell’s Lita boots, but Forever 21 makes a great budget-friendly knockoff.